Eliminate up to 99% of Ferrous Metal Contamination in Gravity Free-Fall Applications
Left unchecked, ferrous metal contamination from internal and external sources can lead to costly repairs and downtime.
First pioneered in 1966 and now available from Plastixs, Bunting FF Series Drawer Magnets eliminate metal contamination with superior magnetic separation for injection, extrusion and blow molding equipment.
Designed with the unique needs of the plastics industry in mind, Plastixs offers several different Bunting models of FF Drawer Magnets to suit a wide variety of applications. All of the FF Series Drawer Magnets are FULLY customizable. Whether you are working in injection molding, extrusion, or plastics recycling, we can provide you with a custom product to suit your needs.
In addition to custom-designed products, you can select from a few standard models (flange plates without bolt holes) for quick-ship options.
Rare Earth Magnets & High-Temp Operation
Bunting drawer magnets come standard with incredibly strong neodymium rare earth magnets that are powerful enough to capture and hold ferrous particles so small that they’re invisible to the naked eye. Neodymium magnets have exceptional surface holding force for more complete removal of contaminants and less chance of “wipe-off,” referring to contamination falling off of the magnetic surface and re-entering the product stream.
Bunting’s exclusive, highly refined Drawer Magnets are the only temperature-compensated rare earth magnets available for integration with injection molding machines. Other rare earth drawer magnets can permanently lose their magnetic power at temperatures above 175° F. Bunting’s are guaranteed to keep magnetic strength when bolted to feed throats operating at temperatures above 175° F. Magnetic energy that strong means guaranteed durability and less downtime for you – plus reduced screw wear and fewer plugged nozzles.
Bunting has a dedicated manufacturing area for FF Series Drawer Magnets so, once you place an order with Plastixs, you’ll receive your equipment fast.
Plastixs carries the following Bunting Drawer Magnet Models:
- FF Series Drawer Magnets
- FF350 High-Temp FF Drawer Magnets
- Low-Profile Drawer Magnets
- Self-Cleaning FF Series Drawer Magnets (manual and pneumatic)
- Powder FF Drawer Magnets for Fine-Grained Resins
- FFV Series Drawer Magnets
- Drawer Magnet Options
- NEW FF-MSCI Manual Self-Cleaning Magnetic Drawer Insert
FF Series Drawer Magnets
The Bunting FF Series Drawer Magnets feature rugged 11-gauge stainless steel housings built to support symmetrical compression loads of 10,000 pounds. The drawer gasket on these magnets is cut from ethylene propylene diene (EPDM), which resists heat aging, is compression set, and is much more durable than sponge rubber.
Additional features and benefits include:
- Temperature-compensated, high intensity rare earth magnets for superior high temp operation and exceptional surface-holding force
- Units are built with welded stainless steel housings for easy cleaning and durability
- Two rows of 1” diameter tubes maximize magnetic circuit while allowing ample space for flow
- Dust-tight welded housing for easy cleaning and durability
- Clear polycarbonate drawer front for easy viewing of product flow and captured contaminants
- High-torque nylon knobs resist breakage
- Superior cartridge geometry increases reach-out and holding power
- Available in 4”x4″, 6″x6”, 8”x8″ and 10”x10″ standard sizes
- The patented No-Spill™ Slide Gate is fitted with a magnetic safety latch to prevent accidental closure in high-vibration applications
- The stainless steel, center drawer guide simplifies removal and re-installation of the magnet drawer for quick, easy cleaning
- Most powdered colorants and resins slide off without sticking
- Superior cartridge geometry increases reach-out and holding power
- Robust construction prolongs cartridge life
FF350 High-Temp FF Drawer Magnets
Rated to 350° F for high-temp processing
The FF350 High-Temp Drawer Magnet answers the growing demand by OEMs and end-user customers to process material at higher temperatures. Higher temperatures improve plastic clarity and performance, particularly in injection molding, and the Bunting FF350 ensures this higher level of product integrity.
Bunting takes care to maintain magnetic strength under increased temperatures and has incorporated other high-temp features. For example, along with the magnet upgrade, Bunting replaced the standard Lexan viewing window with polycarbonate. Even the plastic knobs are rated for higher temperatures.
The FF350 can be used in any existing plastic molding or extrusion application. Since the housing for the FF350 matches the profile of the standard model, drawers and other accessories can be purchased separately to upgrade the FF Series Drawer Magnets already in use.
Click on the video above for a 360⁰ view of the FF350 High-Temp FF Drawer Magnet
Features & Benefits
- Equipped with high temperature-compensated rare earth magnets
- Drawer gasket: Viton sponge material rated to 400° F maximum temperature to resist heat aging and compression set
- Drawer front constructed from polysulfone (PSU) material resists temperatures up to 350° F intermittent temperature operation
- High-torque nylon knobs resist breakage at temperatures up to 350° F
- Rugged, easy-to-clean 11-gauge stainless steel housing built to support symmetrical 10,000 lb. compression loads
- Stainless steel, center drawer guide simplifies removal and re-installation of the magnet drawer for quick, easy cleaning
- Superior cartridge geometry and construction increases reach-out and holding power while maximizing cartridge life
- High-temperature parts are completely interchangeable with the standard FF Drawer Magnet
Low-Profile Drawer Magnet
Requires Less than 6″ Overall Height for Installation
When headroom is severely limited, use Bunting’s proven drawer design in a space-saving 5-11/16” overall height. The standard Low-Profile Drawer Magnet features include a single row of Bunting-exclusive NEO magnetic cartridges, clear polycarbonate drawer front and rigid 10-gauge mild steel construction. Low-profile units are available in stainless steel and with the original No-Spill™ Slide Gate option. Bunting will pre-drill the unit’s rugged 1/4” thick flange plates to customer specifications at no charge.
- Clear polycarbonate drawer front has leak-resistant seals and permits monitoring of material flow and tramp iron accumulation
- Single row of high power NEO magnetic cartridges
- Rigid 10-gauge mild steel construction for durability
- Requires less than 6” of overall height for installation, allowing for a tight fit in difficult spots
Self-Cleaning FF Drawer Magnets: Manual & Pneumatic
Manual & Pneumatic
With no need to pull apart components for cleaning, Bunting’s advanced Self-Cleaning Drawer Magnets feature extra-long magnetic cartridges that fit inside stainless steel sleeves. This enables a self-cleaning mechanism as tramp metal collects on the sleeve surfaces, then falls from the sleeves when they are pulled clear of the magnetic cartridges. No wiping or brushing is required, simply remove the drawer assembly and pull out the magnetic cartridge. With one smooth motion, a separate assembly cleans the magnetic cartridges with grommets, wiping the metal from the tubes to a tray resulting in less product loss.
- Rare earth magnets to endure high temperatures without losing magnetization
- Customizable design allows drawer to fit most machine openings
- Welded stainless steel housing for easy cleaning and durability
- Detachable tramp tray alleviates messy cleanups and spills
- Pneumatic self-cleaning option also available with the additional benefit of offering control packages for hard-to-reach installations
- Top Slide Gate and bottom transition are custom-made to your requirements
Powder FF Drawer Magnets
For Fine-Grained Resins
The Powder FF Drawer Magnet is a modification of the NEO FF Series designed to reduce loss when separating metal from fine product. It separates ferrous metal contaminants from fine-grained PVC and other powdery materials while ensuring minimal product from escaping from the separator.
- Clear polycarbonate drawer front has leak-resistant seals and permits monitoring material flow and tramp iron accumulation
- Magnet housing has been redesigned to bear the weight of infeed hoppers and other processing components
- Inside of the housing is ground smooth to facilitate cleaning and prevent powdered colorants and resins from clinging to the interior
- The Slide Gate, completely enclosed within the housing, redirects clinging powder back into the product flow
FFV Drawer Magnet
For Small-Volume Applications
FFV Drawer Magnets are designed for implementation in small-volume and closed-loop applications. These “just-In-time systems” dry resin at a central point and then convey small amounts to the molding machine. FFXV Drawer Magnets mount on the throat of plastic molding machines and are equipped with an o-ring seal at the drawer front to prevent air leaks. The powerful magnetic cartridges can easily be pulled out of the housing for cleaning. Top and bottom flanges are built to your requirements.
- Most compact housing measures just 3”x3” and has a maximum inlet diameter of 2” with a maximum outlet diameter of 1-3/4″
- Larger 4”x4” units are also offered, allowing this product to fit a variety of size requirements
- Manufactured to withstand pressures up to 15 in-hg without leaking
- Mild and 13-gauge 304 stainless steel housings are available
- Units can be ordered with single or double high-energy rare earth magnetic cartridges
- Models with two high-energy rare earth magnetic cartridges can handle applications where extremely small fines or weakly magnetic contaminants are encountered
- ½” thick, clear polycarbonate drawer front for strength and easy monitoring of the resin flow and tramp metal collection
Drawer Magnet Options
Available for All FF Series Drawer Magnets
1. No-Spill™ Slide Gate: Patented design allows for complete shut-off of product flow, reducing spillage
2. Purge Hopper: Speeds cleaning of your equipment when changing color or compound without sacrificing magnetic protestation
3. Dump Tube: Allows the operator to completely empty the drawer housing and material hopper of plastic after job is completed
4. Liquid Port: Promotes quick addition of color additive into the resin, and the port may also be used to hold a temperature probe
5. Powder Seal Kit: Provides a compression seal around the Slide Gate to prevent leaking of powdery materials